Step 2: Organizing
Once you have determined the amount you need using our fundraising calculator, add important dates to your calendar: the enrollment deadline, appointment times, etc. Then meet with potential sponsors, advisors and mentors. Be sure to inform the Office of Admissions that you will be fundraising. With proper time management and focus, you can be successful.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Plan ahead and start early.
- Be polite and courteous.
- Be direct in your approach. Don't hesitate to ask!
- Reach out to as many people as possible.
- Suggest a specific amount to each donor. Don't over-ask.
- Tell people about the positive responses you have already received.
- Be enthusiastic. Let people see your passion to attend the Conference.
- Make it clear to all donors how much you are personally contributing to your goal (for example: working a part time job, tapping into funds from your savings account, conducting a bake sale or other fundraising activity, etc).
- Make sure you can explain what the Conference is and how attending will add to your educational experience.
- Stay organized by tracking leads and results in Excel or some other database.
- Don't be afraid to ask because someone might say no.
- Have fun!